We left off with the Boler coming back after getting some fibreglass work done in late June 2018. We’re going to pause our story here and and fill in some blanks from the previous winter. I mean, just because I didn’t have the Boler with me didn’t mean I couldn’t keep working on it! Believe me, there were still many things to keep me busy.
For instance, do you remember me telling you about the cushions? The rotten worm-filled cushions? The ones with the covers that disintegrated when I tried to vacuum them? Here they are with the covers removed.
Pretty gross right? I needed to keep them to use as templates for some new foam. I soon found out that foam is really pricey! But luckily my parents had a foam mattress from Ikea that they weren’t using and they let us have it. I traced out the old ones and cut out the new pieces with my bread knife.
I did end up keeping the two cushions that are used on the bunkbeds. They were still in really great shape since their old covers weren’t made of vinyl. Any water that leaked on them ran right through instead of pooling in the cover and creating the perfect place for rot. I washed them in my bathtub and let them air dry in my basement.
Once I had cushions I needed new covers. I looked up as much reupholstery information as I could find, dusted off my old sewing machine, bought some fabric, zippers and upholstery thread and got to work. Here’s the first cushion I completed:
There are nine cushions in a Boler. It was pretty time consuming but I worked my way through it over about a month. Halfway there!
All nine done! The most difficult ones were the two that fit along the Boler walls because of their unusual shape.
The boys wanted to try them out. Quality check? I think they approved.
While I was working on the cushions / covers I was also thinking about curtains. There are six windows in the Boler which is great for light but not so great for changing your clothes without the entire campground seeing you. I was looking at buying fabric but I hadn’t seen any that caught my eye yet. Then one day while getting groceries at Superstore I happened to see some over-sized tea towels on sale!
They were perfect! They were nice and dark (not see-through!) and they were big enough for the largest window. I bought everything they had and then went to a different Superstore and bought a bunch there as well. Then I went to Ikea and bought some curtain rings with clips and that was that! I was also pretty happy to not have to add more sewing to my list.
I needed some new pulls for the cabinet draws and doors for the kitchen area and the closet. I bought these from Amazon which I love.
There were also a few more unnecessary but fun items I picked up as well. For instance I found some great pillows at a thrift store:
And some dragonfly LED string lights at Michaels (I might have had a dragonfly theme going on):
And I machine embroidered some dishtowels:
It was a little difficult for me during that winter and spring to have to wait to be able to work on the Boler. Having these projects to do really helped. If fact, there’s an arm chair in our master bedroom and I piled a bunch of the items for the Boler on it once they were completed so I could look at them everyday and feel excited about camping in the Boler that summer. Like a Boler mood board!
Tune in next week for Part 5 – Five days of crazy.